Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Peach Salsa 6/3/10

I'm a very narrow-minded cook. Particularly, I tend to think that food is only for meals. Other than the occasional batch of cookies, the time I spend in the kitchen is only to prepare dinner. Fortunately, Ben seems to have food on his mind a lot more than I do, so from soda to late night pudding, there's usually something going on in the kitchen. A few days ago, that turned out to be salsa.

Admittedly, it started as a topper for some chicken that had been marinated, but we just kind of threw everything that we had in, including tomatoes, onions, green bell peppers, jalapenos, peaches, honey, and more.


To be honest, I thought making salsa was a lot harder than this, but with the original Spanish for it just being "sauce" (according to this very good Times article), I guess we couldn't go wrong. Particularly, I thought there was some crazy involving boiling tomatoes, but it doesn't really matter as long as it tastes good. The blender made quick work of the ingredients, giving us a strangely colored liquid:


The peach flavor is a little light, but it makes a nice sauce for dipping chips and chicken-based dinners:




It's a little bit spicier than we were shooting for, though that doesn't start to kick in until the third or fourth bite. My main concern is actually an unfortunate characteristic of my stomach, where fresh fruit and a full stomach can cause violent reactions. The ache is pretty worth it, though because this stuff is good.

No comments: