Saturday, July 17, 2010

Something Smells Fishy Here...

What's for dinner?
A dish that has what might be the highest "deliciousness to effort" ratio.

Some time last week (or two weeks ago...), I decided to make some baked salmon, asparagus, and rosemary potatoes for dinner. I had never made this dish before, but I remembered having it while I was visiting my sister last summer. When I asked her for the recipe, she assured me that this was basically a "fail-proof" recipe. i.e. It's so easy to make, you couldn't possibly mess up!

First, the rosemary potatoes:
I just diced a few Yukon gold potatoes, tossed them in olive oil, rosemary, salt, and pepper, then spread them on a baking sheet and threw them in the oven.
Next time, I'd definitely cut down on the olive oil a bit (I didn't realize how much I put in), and cut the potatoes into bigger cubes (so you don't end up with little rosemary potato cubes).

Second, the salmon:
Slightly "drench" the salmon with soy sauce (the filets should be swimming in soy sauce -- but not drowning in it!), then sprinkle it with brown sugar.
Toss the filets into the oven right along with the potatoes (which have hopefully already been sitting in the oven a for a few minutes).

Finally, the asparagus:
Lightly sprinkle the asparagus with olive oil, salt, and pepper. That's it. Seriously.
Toss it in the oven alongside the salmon and the potatoes. Trust me... The timing works out perfectly. It's almost magical.

Potatoes, salmon, and asparagus -- all sharing the oven. :)

The final product: tender salmon, crispy potatoes, and juicy asparagus. Mmm...

Tara decided to contribute to the meal by suggesting we have cantaloupe topped with vanilla ice cream. This combination initially sounded so bizarre to me, but I could never doubt Tara's taste buds.
The result? A deliciously refreshing dessert. :)

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Oh that sounds delicious. My mom does a steamed salmon in the toaster oven with soy sauce, ginger, and garlic, so I totally believe that this is awesome.