Wednesday, July 6, 2011

California Melts

As an avocado aficionado, I couldn't wait to have a meal with avocados in the spotlight. Kevin suggested California melts as a good way to use up some extra bread and cheese we had, as well as something that wouldn't overpower the avocados. In addition to the avocado, we used whole wheat bread and Muenster cheese from Trader Joe's, and a delicious heirloom tomato from the farmer's market.


I thought the heirloom tomato was far better than anything we had gotten from the grocery store, but Kevin didn't seem to notice a difference in the taste test we did. I'd like to say that it's my refined palate, but I'm probably just more used to tasting heirloom tomatoes, since my parents grow them in our garden.


We used a cute little pan left for us to use by Kevin's subletters. I was pretty worried about flipping the sandwich, but the tiny pan had little room around the edges for stuff to slide around. The cheese melted nicely, as well, which also helped to cement things together. Yum.

No comments: